Thursday, April 7, 2011

Are you the best in what you do ?


This recently I won a book from KCLau.com   - "The Dip" by Seth Godin
The Dip 

A very small book , less than a 100 pages, however it does really give me a lot of motivation and lots of inspiration, really thanks to him for giving me this book!
What "the dip" by the way? 


Always at the beginning, when you first started out something, it's fun, it's interesting, and you have a lot of drives to know more and do more, and you get lots of good feedback from the people around you.

Then , when time goes by, you put in more effort in whatever you are doing, but things doesn't goes too well, it is not rewarding, at that time , you are in "The Dip" . 


What makes "The Best" and "Rookies" is whether someone can pass through "The Dip" , it is the between the beginner's luck and real accomplishment, and this is always the stage where people quit, or people hang on to it, and you will just be someone "average".

This actually give me a wake up call! 

I always think that I know a lot of stuffs, and yes I do know a lot of stuffs, but I am never Good or The Best in anything - The Jack of All Trades but Master of None. 

I find this actually quite disturbing, then I realize I didn't quit doing anything, but I hang into "the dip". 

I am never No.1 in anything, and I think people should actually fight for No.1 for everything we do.

It's either WE BE THE BEST, or WE JUST DON'T DO IT!

People seldom remember who get 2nd placing, not saying the 3rd and the "consolation" prize, people only remember the FIRST, because the FIRST is the best! 

If you were to have the choice to choose "The Best" and "The Second Best" , who would you choose with the same price? 

p/s: Best is subjective, it does varies between people, everyone's model of the world is different.

The Brave - Do whatever it takes to go to the other side of the curve, to be the top!
The Mature - Don't even bother to start because you know probably won't put much effort to pass through the dip
The Stupid - Start, give your best shot, waste a lot of time, money and effort, and quit right in the middle of the dip.
And sadly speaking, I think I'm categorized in the 3rd category. 

Best example is, I think I'm very good in giving presentation, but I have stucked at that level of presenting for so long, since secondary school, not even one bit of improvement, and I'm still always so happy with my presentation skills, and this is something very sad.

It's time to make a change !! Let's not hang on to what I have left out, it's time to move on, improve myself, pass through all the obstacles, and be 

THE BEST !
One of the picture in The Dip

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...